What is a Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA)?

A licensed person who has undergone specific training in energy performance of buildings using RdSAP methodology (Reduced data Standard Assessment Procedure).

This method is used for domestic dwellings, whereas full SAP (Standard Assessment Procedure) is applied to larger commercial properties, institutions, and social housing.

They hold a diploma in Domestic Energy Assessment and are licenced through one of the recognised accreditaion bodies.

Only the licenced DEA can undertake assessment of a property and produce the Energy Performance Certificate.


What does the Domestic Energy Assessor do?


The DEA's job encompasses a number of areas.


1. The DEA must on arrival at your property conduct a health & safety survey around the exterior and interior of the property – a ‘risk analysis’ to identify potential risks to safety.

2. The assessor will take dimensions throughout the property to work out the area considered as "space heating" - to determine heat loss through walls and ceilings for example.

3. Inspection of boilers, room heaters, fireplaces and heating controls will also be surveyed. The type of fuels to heat the home will also be recorded.

4. Any extensions to the property will be surveyed including the year of build and the construction type noted (eg stone, solid brick, cavity etc).

5. The main house construction will be surveyed and the age of build noted.

6. If an "un-separated" Conservatory is present the dimensions and build age will also be recorded if one exists. For the purpose of doubt a "separated" conservatory is one where access to the conservatory is through an exterior quality door and is exempt from the energy survey.

7. The property will be inspected to establish what insulation is present, both in walls and loft. Loft access is required if there is one (assessor must use their own ladder).

8. Types of glazing and low energy lighting will also be recorded.

9. All data will be recorded on a property datasheet or PDA for download into a specialised computer program, which analyses the data and produces an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate).

10. The DEA will then issue the EPC to client or agent and explain the report findings.


Note: A DEA can not produce the Home Condition Report (HCR), which is an optional part of the Home Information Pack, this is issued only by a qualified Home Inspector or (HI).

For a complete profile of the role responsibilities click DEA role profile

CityGuilds ECMKlogo Idea

At Easy Energy Assessments we really do make the whole process EASY

© 2008-17 Easy Energy Assessments

8 Shrewton Close


Wiltshire. BA14 0XS

Office: 01225 760706

Mobile: 0792 135 0536

home | about us | legislation | process | faq | contact

about energy performance certificate (EPC)? | about domestic energy assessors (DEA's)


Designed by eberlin

Energy Saving Recommendations
Domestic Energy Assessors
EPC Survey Process
The Process
Legislation   About Us   Contact   FAQ   Home CityGuilds ECMKlogo Energy Saving Recommendations Domestic Energy Assessors EPC Survey Process